Monday, February 9, 2009

Adoptive Mom Craziness

I've been thinking about posting for a while now, but we've been pretty busy here around the homestead. A friend called a few weeks back and asked me for a favor. Her husband had the car with her baby's car seat in it. She asked if I had one she could borrow. As I think about this is seems funny to me, but I guess all adoptive moms aren't the same as me...I thought to myself, "Do I have a car seat you could borrow?", "Of course I have a car seat." I have Emma's car seat, which I've had since I sent my papers to China almost 3 years ago!


Then I thought, but wait...it's Emma's car seat, it's brand new, never been used and in my mind she of course would be the first to use it. I came to my senses as I cut the tags off and took off the plastic. I thought dang, that was a really crazy line of thought and that it would be no problem for her to use the car seat (just don't get it dirty). Unfortunately I think this wait makes us all a bit looney. I have to admit I'm a bit that way. Now 2-3 weeks later I like the look of it in my car, and I can't bear the thought of taking it out.


Guess I'll just be a little crazy for a while longer.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

You are not crazy! It is sooo cute! Can't wait for the day it isn't empty. (Maybe, some day soon, Maya will be cruising with her bud Emma in their "Britaxes")

Sheri Wojtasek said...

Adoptive mom or not....I would have the same thought cross my mind....once it's made the connection in our minds that an object belongs to our child it is hard to picture other wise! Cute carseat btw!!! I like Andrea hope that it is well used and even a little dirty :o) SOON!

Lisa and Tate said...

DANG THEAT LOOKS CUTE! Keep it in there, you crazy adoptive momma you!!! Sometimes crazy is the onlyt way to survive this journey.

Catherine said...

It does look cute and I understand your craziness! :o) Guess many of us share that in common. My SIL asked if I had a carrier she could borrow and I loaned her one...but one handed down to me rather than the new one that was given to me as a gift for Hannah. You were much more generous than I. You were so kind to share your brand new car seat with her!

Just another thing. You might want to check to see if your car seat has what we might call a 'best before date' on it. I have a booster seat for Hannah that will need to be disposed of before she ever comes home due to the age of it. Not sure what the recommendations are where you live but at home they say that the plastic in car seats begins to be more brittle after 5 years and in the case of an accident might not protect them the way it should. Don't mean to be a downer but wanted to share this with you. How much have we had to throw out in the time we've been waiting? BPA stuff etc. Hope you understand the heart this is sent with friend.

Crazycozartclan said...

My car seats are not nearly as cute and I still like to put them in early before I have a baby. Maybe it's because we are impatient! : )