Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Treasured Example

First, I want to Thank all of you for the nice comments you had about my new hair. To answer a question...it is so easy to do! I am absolutely delighted that I can dry it, put some molding mud in and go. On another note the hubs loves it and that's whose opinion counts the most in my book.

Second, it's time again for another mom posts. For those of you who follow my blog you kind of know the history of these posts, so here it goes.

Before my beloved Mother passed away, she resided in a nursing care facility. It was an awesome place and she grew to love it and the people who worked there. I was visiting her one day on my lunch break. By this time she was no longer able to walk, sit very well or feed herself at all. I sat with her as she lay on a long chair that kind of lounged backward as she waited for her nurse to come feed her lunch. She was always the last to eat because she needed help and had to wait for the nurses to make sure everyone else had eaten. I guess I could have fed her, but at that moment the thought didn't come to my mind.

In the background on the radio, BYU (Brigham Young University) was broadcasting a devotional. Some hymns were being played. Then came the next song...it was the song "I stand all amazed." I watched as my 46 year old Mom mouthed every word to that song. Here she was, her precious physical body ravished by Multiple Sclerosis taking her life slowly away from her. She should have been furious with God, at the many things she had lost, at the pain and suffering she had experienced and was experiencing at that time. She was NOT angry,
she was NOT blaming God. She was praising Him, thanking Him, humbling herself before Him.

As she sat in that chair losing her life, she CONFIRMED to me her faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. She bore her testimony to me in a way that has left an indelible mark on my spirit. She is the best example in my life next to my Savior.

Following are the words to this song located in the LDS Hymnal...

I Stand All Amazed
by Charles H. Gabriel
I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully He proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me He was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, He suffered, He bled and died.
Oh, it is wonderful that He should care for me enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!
I marvel that He would descend from His throne divine,
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That He should extend His great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.
Oh, it is wonderful that He should care for me enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!
I think of His hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love, and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at His feet.
Oh, it is wonderful that He should care for me enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!
I love you so much Mom. Thank you for teaching me about the
most important things in life. I live my life so you would
be proud of me. I hope you are.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

That is one of my most favorie Hymns. Thank you for sharing that sweet experience!

Sheri Wojtasek said...

Thank you for posting this! It was full of spirit and love! I know that your Mom is indeed proud of who you have become!

Andrea said...

What a beautiful post! Faith is an amazing thing. Talk to you soon.

Lisa and Tate said...

Beautiful! What a wonderful example....