Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Some Sunshine out there

Today I was feeling down, I felt like I didn't have the information to make a wise decision in this adoption pursuit. I wondered, how I could make a decision when I didn't know how the process was to be done. But then I came across this Statement coming from the USCIS. My hopes are again renewed. It may be 2011 when we get Emma, but we will get her under the same rules we have been following. Read the following good news!!
******BREAKING NEWS******
Dear Families & Friends,
After advocating on behalf of adoptive families for the past 6 months, Joint Council is very pleased to confirm that USCIS has announced a very positive ruling concerning the I-600A process.
In summary, it is our understanding that, effective immediately, families who filed Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition, prior to April 1, 2008 and whose USCIS approval of that petition (aka the I-171H) has not expired, will be able to proceed with their adoption under the I-600A process if they take certain steps while their approval remains valid. This means that families with valid Form I-600A approvals will not be required to transition to The Hague process via Form I-800A. In order to maintain their status as ‘grandfathered’ cases, families with non-expired Form I-600A approvals must request a one-time free extension. Then, prior to the expiration of the one-time free extension, families must file a new Form I-600A and pay the appropriate fee.
It is also our understanding that families with a Form I-600A approval that has expired and who have not obtained an extension or filed a new Form I-600A, will need to undertake the Hague process. The Hague process will also apply to any petitioner who has not completed their adoption by 2014.
As we noted in our Position Statement, this ruling will save adoptive families thousands of dollars, eliminate countless sleepless nights and ensures that their adoption can proceed to completion.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

I don't see how this is good news for me, our's expired while trying to renew it back in October last year?? Maybe I am reading it wrong. Did you let your's lapse?

Catherine said...

So excited for you friend!! Have been praying for my US friends who have been enduring this challenging time.

Briana's Mom said...

Such good news! I am so happy for you!

Stacie said...

Hooray.... I am so glad that you have been grandfathered in! What great news for you guys. :)

Lisa and Tate said...

It is a ray of sunshine! I got your email and will have to ask and thing before I get back to you...

Chat soon.

Crazycozartclan said...

It's about time that something went your way! Congrats!!!!

Grandma, Grandpa Phillips said...

We're sure happy about this great news. And we're so happy, especially for you Susie. We love you very much and want you to know how happy we are for you. Now let's get those Chinese government wheels rolling along.

Love ya,

Grandma, Grandpa Phillips said...

I still don't know where that stupid & is coming from...