Friday, June 5, 2009

Life is Beautiful...and precious.

Sometimes I have days full of activities, events and chaos. Sometimes I have quiet, contemplative days. This has been one of those days. Life is beautiful...the leaves swaying in the wind, children's laughter and beautiful music. I know I am here for a reason. I am here to be influenced and maybe just maybe to influence someone else. How generous is God to give us beauty in the form of blue sky's, birds chirping, family and so many other precious things.
As I ponder events in my life, I feel that I might be extra blessed. I have learned many things from life lessons. Since my life saving surgery, I treasure much. I remember my family all being tested to see who might be a kidney donor for me. I was sick...and tired...and I just wanted relief. I didn't think about what my donor might be feeling or experiencing. Finally amongst themselves my sister emerged saying she would help. I had worked in the medical field for some time by this point and understood the tests and preparation she would be going through. She, I later came to find out, did not.
Now as I think back to her unwavering commitment to help me, she went through a number of diagnostic tests to determine if she could be a donor. She was barely the legal age to donate. I did my best to accompany her for all these tests. She was to have an angiogram on her kidneys. As I rode in the elevator beside her up to the angiography suite the teenage transporter asked why she was having the test. She said "I'm donating a kidney," but did not indicate it was for me who was standing right beside her. The transporter then responded "Wow are you crazy? Have you seen the scars those leave?" My sister just looked at me and smiled. After the surgery, her room was dark and she was in much pain. They removed two of her ribs to get her kidney. I've often heard that the donor feels pulverized afterwards. I felt immensely better leaving the recovery room.

Life is beautiful, now much more so. I want my sister to know that I feel these moments completely. I hope this brings happiness to her, and I hope she understands and feels these moments as well.

8 comments:

Sheri Wojtasek said...

WOW that does give some great reflection! I love your postitve attitude! You are a sweet girl Susie!

Andrea said...

Glad to hear you are having a better time, and I add that I am grateful to your sister too! She must be an amazing person.

Briana's Mom said...

Wow - your sister gave you the gift of life. Absolutely amazing. Beautiful post.

Stacie said...

Ah shucks suz...thanks! :) I just expect it back when my kidney goes kaput...hahahah just kidding. Good thing there are two more sisters with extra kidneys...huh guys. ;)

Jenkins Family said...

Hey, lets all see if we all can only have one kideny (it will be our cool only one kidney club) very exclusive.

Special K said...

Wow... what a heartfelt post. Very moving.

You know ... I don't think I realized you'd had a kidney transplant. I just remember you being so sick that year I met you in Georgia. And I knew that since I've re-discovered your blog you seemed healed from that time. That's a really amazing story. I'm very happy that you're well now.

M3 said...

Susie that is a beautiful story. Your sister sounds amazing.

The Brown Family said...

What a sweet story. Your sister is awesome! And so are you. Thanks for sharing your beautiful story.

I have had this on my mind this week. I'm sure you have heard in the news about Brian Cardall (he died after tasing). His brother, Paul Cardall is our 'heart friend'. Paul is an adult with CHD, so he sees the same heart docs that Kai sees. Paul has been working on a video for his newest song and was requesting photos of heart kids about the time the news of his brother came. I can't stop thinking of the ironies of this earthly life. As Paul waits for a heart transplant, his brother dies in such a way that he cannot be a donor.

I really needed to hear this wonderful story of hope from sister to sister.

Love
Kim