Saturday, April 4, 2009

Who I really am...

As time passes and I age it seems as though I am more sensitive to the human condition. As a young child and then a teen I felt invinsible, strong-willed, opinionated and never wrong. Now at this point I feel that time has softened my views, my opinions and the way I look at things. Now, I notice.

Things that have touched me in the last few years. China and third world countries. The majority of the world lives in absolute poverty. We are so blessed, no... I am so blessed to live here in this free land with men and women who defend my life and liberty despite my views. It touches me deeply to hear of their departure to lands of war, to leave their families with the possibility of not coming home.

Men, who have worked their whole lives, taken care of their families, now in this economy reduced to wearing mascot clothing or holding advertising signs to make a few dollars. Young men, older men, older women, younger women...anyone...everyone. 5000 people showing up to get 1 of the 500 jobs available.

I have seen the wonderful amazing human spirit soar despite these conditions. I have also seen it crush the soul. I want to talk about something wonderful, something miraculous...something we can all do to help each other out.

I have been blessed to have life. I have been blessed to be born, but my life is mine due to the kindness and mercy of another. I show traits of all my family members, but I live with a piece of my sister. I am so ever grateful for my sister, for she gave me life again. She donated one of her kidney's to save my life. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!! She doesn't like for people to know that she gave this precious gift because she feels that it was not something heroic, it was just something you do for your family. She will never know or understand the many things I have learned with my health restored. She will never know of all the moments I have come to cherish because of this gift. She will never really know the deep love and respect I have for her. What is so amazing, is that I know without a shadow of a doubt that each and every one of my family members would do this for me in the blink of an eye. Therefore you all need to know the deep level of love and respect I have for you all. You just don't understand what giving this type of gift means to the person who is receiving it.

What I hope is that by talking about this event in my life...it might inspire someone else to consider being an organ donor. I never thought my life would hold so many precious treasures for me, but it did! The recent movie sev*en pou*nds touched me in a way that I knew I should be open about this in my life. That it just might help someone else in a small way. I am very different things to different people, but this is who I really am...take me or leave me. I am so thankful to my sister, my family, my husband and all those who have or will donate their organs so others can fulfill their dreams, so that they can image themselves doing things they never thought they would. You all have the possibility to save someone else's life...help their dreams to come true. Won't you please consider it???

Come grow old along with me, the best is yet to be --Robert Browning.
I am open and willing to discuss any and all questions you may have about organ and tissue donation. Please ask away...

10 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

Beautiful post. What a blessing your sister was to give you the chance to continue in your life.

Jennie said...

You made me cry! I am a Diabetic and can't even donate blood. I hold those who do the blood thing and organ donation in high regard.

You just wait till you go to China and see where your baby has been for her short life. You will never never never ever be the same. I sobbed when we hit US soil!

Crazycozartclan said...

I finally watched the movie last night. It was really good! We all know that if the situation was reversed that you would donate to us if it were possible. Love for your family has no limits. We all love ya ( I guess we'll take you instead of leave you) : )

Andrea said...

I for one am grateful to your sister too. What a beautiful post. I know I am a better person having you as my friend. You are an inspiration to me in so many ways.

Sheri Wojtasek said...

Susie, That was such a moving post! Thanks for sharing such a special moment in your life!

Briana's Mom said...

What an amazing post. Your sister is an amazing person!

Tawni said...

Beautiful.

I've missed you friend.

t

Kevin, Amanda & Owen said...

Aren't sisters the most amazing blessings!? Thanks for sharing...it really does mean a lot.

Lori said...

Hi, Susie! It was so nice to meet you at the lia sophia fundraiser for my kids' orphanage. I've been friends with Cristy for years, so of course I've heard about Karen. I'm realizing now that I have heard parts of your story as well. I look forward to exploring your blog!

Thank you again for supporting our kids!

Special K said...

That's an amazing story!

PS. I check that little organ donor box on my license every time I renew it. :)